sperm whale, cachalo
IUCN: vulnerable, United States Endangered Species Act
Worldwide throughout deep sea oceans
60-70 years, or more
Length: 52 ft
- The sperm whale is the largest species of toothed whales.
- Having one of the largest distributions, they can be found in all deep oceans.
- Sperm whales can deep dive over 10,000 feet for over 60 minutes.
- They are carnivores and feed on squid, sharks, skates, and fish.
- Females form social pods with other adult females and their young.
Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia Order: Artiodactyla Infraorder: Cetacea Family: Physeteridae Genus: Physeter Species: P. macrocephalus
Conservation & Helping:
For Teachers and Educators
No Downloads Are Available