Gardening is what your parents, grandparents or great grandparents did back in the day to eat. But, maybe some members of your family member are still gardening and you are learning from them. Furthermore, gardening is the growing of plants in a backyard, balcony, patio, roof and indoors. Greenhouses are great for gardening indoors. Also, it can be done in public parks and other public areas. You can garden to produce fruits, vegetables, and herbs for you own purpose. Most importantly, gardening organically helps our planet immensely because you are not contributing to deforestation, greenhouse gas emissions and you are working with your own materials for your own food with your own energy.
How Can You Get Started?
- 1 First, you have to decide what you want to grow and make sure that the seed can grow in your temperature zone (vegetables, fruits or herbs)
- 2 Choose a location that gets plenty of sunlight
- 3 Invest in garden tools depending on location: one shovel or spade, rake, hoe, drainage containers, potting mix and drainage soil
- 4 Prepare soil: Place soil in drainage container
- 5 Choose planting seeds
- 6 Plant with care
- 7 Nurture your seeds and garden
Easy Starter Plants, Fruits and Veggies:
- Herbs (indoors): chives, mint, parsley, basil, cilantro, oregano
- Fruits (in container): strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, figs, pineapple, bananas, watermelon
- Veggies: lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, green beans
Remember that if you start gardening you are helping the planet in many different ways! For example, conserving the natural habitat of different species.