Many animals build elaborate homes to live in.
- Are holes and tunnels dug underground by animals
- Burrows can range from simple tubes, to complex networks of tunnels and chambers
- Many animals burrow, including rabbits, moles, ants, reptiles and even penguins!
- A type of burrow, but is usually larger
- Dens can also be used by animals to hibernate for the winter
- Animals use dens include coyotes, lions, bears and foxes
- Nest are used to hold animal’s eggs, but can also be a place to rest and to raise offspring
- Nests tend to be made out of organic material, like twigs, grass and leaves, but sometimes can be made out of weirder things like string, hair or even spit!
- While most nests are built by birds, other animals make nests as well, such as turtles and insects
- One of the most elaborate homes constructed by animals
- Dams can protect beavers from predators and provide easy access to food during the winter
- Beavers build dams out of timber, stones and mud
- These mounds can sometimes be over 90 feet tall!
- Mounds will often still remain long after the original termite colony is long gone
- Very elaborate full of many tunnels and chambers