Predation is used to describe the relationship between a predator and prey. Sounds easy right? To break it down further, predators are organisms that stalk, chase, hunt, ambush and ultimately eat another organism. Prey, are organisms being eaten by the predators. The common animals that normally become causalities to predation are insects, mice, rats, and lizards, but these animals can also be predators. As soon as any living thing successfully catches,kills and eats another living thing, predation has occurred. We have listed some classic predation example from the animal kingdom.
List of predators and prey:
Killer Whale- Harbor Seal
Praying Mantis- Fly
Bearded Dragon- Cricket
Rhode Island Red Chicken- Meal Worm
Red Tail Hawk- Cotton Tail Rabbit
This is just a few examples of predation in both wild and domestic species of animals and nowhere close to all the examples of predation found in the animal kingdom. So many relationships have evolved giving predators tools to gain the upper hand in catching prey and prey have evolved some great tools to elude predators. You can continue learning about predators and prey by exploring the Animal Kingdom in the Kids Zone.
- Book A Guinea Pig Petting Zoo Party and Have The Trendiest Party of 2023!
- Some Cute Ways to Decorate Your Next Petting Zoo Party or Farm Birthday Party.
- Learn What The Zoo Keepers Do and Work With Animals in Our Zoo Keeper for a Day Classes!
- Bring the Fun and Excitement of Live Insects to Your Child's Next Party with Critter Squad's Insect Defender
- Bring the Magic of Live Insects to Your Child's Birthday Party with Critter Squad